People choose to volunteer for a lots of reasons. For some it offers the chance to give something back to the community or make a difference to the people around them. For others it provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge. Regardless of the motivation, what unites them all is that they find it both challenging, rewarding and fun!
There are lots of chances to volunteer at Gul no matter what your skills, whether it is webdesign or Pony Care, DIY or fundraising if you have time to give just offer and join the community at Gul.
Our video was produced for us VOLUNTARILY by Sous Productions you can find their website HERE
The film shows one of our projects, the effect it has at the charity and why those involved did what they did.
Below are some of the reasons people choose to volunteer. For some it provides an opportunity to:
- Give something back to an organisation that has impacted on a person's life, either directly or indirectly
- Make a difference to the lives of others
- Help the environment
- Help others less fortunate or without a voice
- Feel valued and part of a team
- Spend quality time away from work or a busy lifestyle
- Gain confidence and self-esteem
For some, volunteering can be a route to employment, or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can be a way of:
- Gaining new skills, knowledge and experience
- Developing existing skills and knowledge
- Enhancing a CV
- Improving one's employment prospects
- Gaining an accreditation
- Using one's professional skills and knowledge to benefit others (usually described as pro bono)
From the charity's perspective the chance to become a part of an active community of volunteers and to socialise while giving back is often the biggest draw.
- Meeting new people and making new friends
- A chance to socialise
- Getting to know the local community
To volunteer for Gul please speak to a member of the team at Gul and fill in a volunteer form HERE